Your comfort and quality care is our number one goal and we know there’s
a close connection between comfort and understanding. So, hopefully the
following information will help you further explore some of the dental
health topics relevant to your needs. If you have any questions or want
to discuss any of this information, please call us.
About Oral Cancer
One American dies every hour from oral cancer, a death rate that has remained virtually unchanged for more than 40 years. Statistics published by the American Cancer Society indicate that while the incidence and death rates for cancers overall has decreased, the incidence of oral cancer has increased by 5.5% and the death rate has increased by 1.5%
Oral cancer is 90% curable when found in its early stages. Unfortunately, 70% of oral cancers are diagnosed in the late stages, III and IV, leading to a five-year survival rate of 57%. Late stage oral cancer treatment often results in disfiguring effects on patients, and can seriously compromise their quality of life. Early detection and diagnosis can make a tremendous difference in life expectancy
Signs and Symptoms:
- A white or red patch in the mouth
- A sore that doesn’t heal in 10-14 days or bleeds easily
- Unexplained pain or soreness in the moth, lips or throat
- Numbness of any part of the mouth
- Swelling in the moth or neck
- Difficulty chewing or swallowing or moving the jaw or tongue
- Tobacco use (any type, any age, within 10 years)
- Alcohol consumption of at least 1 drink per day (3 ounces of hard liquor, 4 ounces of wine, or 12 ounces of beer)
- Immune deficiencies such as HIV & AIDS
- Human Papilloma Virus (HPV 16/18)
- Prolonged exposure to the sun (lip cancer)
Statistics, Facts and Famous Victims
* Every hour of every day, one American dies of oral cancer.
* The mortality rate associated with oral cancer has not improved significantly in the last 40 years. In fact, recent statistics published by the American Cancer Society indicate that while the incidence and death rates for cancers overall has decreased, the incidence for oral cancer has increased by 5.5% and the death rate has increased by 1.5%.
* The death rate in the Unites States for oral cancer is higher than that of cervical cancer, Hodgkin’s disease, cancer of the brain, liver, testes, kidney or ovarian cancer.
* More than 30,000 Americans will receive an oral cancer diagnosis this year. In five years, less than 57% will still be alive.
* 8,000 Americans will die each year of oral cancer.
1. Babe Ruth
2. Sigmund Freud
3. Jack Klugman
4. Aaron Spelling
5. Alan King
6. Humphrey Bogart
7. Lana Turner
8. Eddie Van Halen
9. Rod Stewart
10. Bill Blass
11. Burl Ives
12. Sammy Davis, Jr.
13. John Prine
14. Jim Thorpe
15. Mary Wells
16. George Harrison
CEREC® - One Visit Crowns
This revolutionary system allows us to replace full or partial crown damage in a single visit.
Composite Resins: Strengthen Your Smile
If you're embarrassed about
your smile because of decayed, disfigured, or discolored teeth, you
may be a good candidate for composite resins.
If you’re self-conscious about your smile due to cracked,
broken, decayed, or worn teeth, we can bring back your healthy,
natural-looking smile with dental crowns.
Do Women Need More Dental Attention?
shows women may be significantly more susceptible to serious health
they maintain a tremendously vigilant home hygiene campaign
against tooth decay and gum disease.
If you’ve lost teeth due to accident,
injury, or gum disease, we can create a permanent 'bridge' appliance
the missing teeth.
Gum Disease: Serious But
Although gum disease is terribly pervasive, it's
also preventable. Conservative estimates
that up to 80% of people unknowingly have some amount of chronic
Healthy Mouth, Happy Life?
If you think
about it, it makes perfect sense: poor oral health is linked
to poor physical
Implants - Permanent, Secure Tooth Replacements
When people lose permanent
teeth due to accident, injury, disease or extraction,
can be a secure, functional replacement option.
Braces for the 21st Century
FDA approved Invisalign is
the “invisible” way to straighten your teeth without
wearing conventional metal braces.
Porcelain veneers can often
provide people who have chipped, stained, discolored,
or even slightly crooked front teeth with a completely new-looking
smile in just a few simple appointments.
TMJ disorder or TMD can cause a wide variety of mild to
severe symptoms, from jaw clicking and minor discomfort
in your temple, ear, jaw and teeth; it can also "lock" your
jaw open or shut, or dislocate the jaw altogether.
Whiter, Brighter Teeth
Teeth whitening is a safe,
effective and lasting way to lighten most people's smiles,
in a wide
methods and concentrations for various kinds of teeth.
The Zoom! In-Office Whitening
System is a revolutionary tooth whitening procedure.
It's safe, effective
and fast - very